Blog 5: Part II: Nutrition for Mental Health

Happy September! It is cooler weather today, which I am very grateful for!!! 

As I love learning more and more about how nutrition plays a role in our mental health, I thought I would continue to talk about it! 

For me, when I began to learn about this, I knew this wasn't just a trend or a fad, but a lifestyle change. In fact, I don't like the words DIET, FADS, KETO, ATKINS....they may work for a short period of time and I commend them for what they stand for and try to do. However in the long run, these diets don't last.

We discussed your relationship with food in the last blog, and let me tell you, that is truly the key to long term success. Asking yourself, when I eat this nightshade vegetable (bell peppers, eggplant, tomatoes) how do I feel? When I eat a whole bowl of pasta, what does my tummy feel like afterwards and what is my mood like? Being in tune with you, is so crucial to mental health wellness! This is a long term lifestyle or way of eating because once you figure out your OWN formula, not the person down the street, but your OWN, it is a life changer. BOOM! 🎆🎆🎆

Soooo, as you know nutrition plays a crucial role in maintaining both physical and mental health. There is so much information now on how strong the relationship is between nutrition and mental well-being, and what changes can be made long term. 

Here are some key ways in which nutrition is related to mental health with lasting effects:

1.  Brain Function: our brain requires a variety of nutrients to function optimally. Essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, and amino acids are necessary for neurotransmitter production  (body's chemical messages, which help to signal your limbs to move, keeps your heart beating, and acts as a messenger of all your body parts), regulation of mood, and overall cognitive function.


2.     Mood and Emotional Health: There are definitely certain nutrients that can influence the production and activity of these neurotransmitters, such as serotonin (chemical carrying messages between nerve cells in your brain and throughout your body), dopamine (you get a rush of dopamine when you have accomplished something you have worked hard for; if you do not get enough of dopamine, could result in depressed mood), and norepinephrine (neurotransmitter that produces and releases melatonin), which ALL play a significant role in regulating mood and emotions. 


  • deficiencies in nutrients like vitamin D, B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to an increased risk of depression and other mood disorders.

  • low serotonin can be linked to people experiencing symptoms of anxiety, biploar, autism, OCD, and constipation!

  • dysfunction of dopamine may be seen in people who experience symptoms of bipolar, schizophrenia, and ADHD
FASCINATING, ISN'T IT!!!!                  


3.     Inflammation: Chronic inflammation in the body has been associated with an increased risk of mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety. Sometimes it is challenging to determine what came first, the depression/anxiety or the pain. So much research has confirmed that a unhealthy way of eating contributes to inflammation, which includes processed foods, refined sugars, and unhealthy fats.  As I have shared with you before, I have chronic migraines since FIVE years old, and now that I am "old," I have less migraines due to figuring out that night shade vegetables and high cortisol were inflaming my body!  Therefore eating a variety of foods rich in antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats can help reduce inflammation and support mental well-being.


4.     Gut-Brain Axis: Connecting our body and mind is challenging in itself, however, when you begin to understand that the gut and brain are interconnected through communication pathways known as the gut-brain axis, attuning to your body gets easier. To ensure these pathways communicate, it is recommended to include probiotics, prebiotics, and enough fiber, so that it can promote a diverse and balanced gut microbiota (a balanced gut), which then, may positively impact mental health. So easy, right??!!!


5.     Energy and Focus: As you can probably gather by now, proper nutrition provides the necessary energy for the brain to function at its best. Consuming balanced foods that include complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein can help maintain steady blood sugar levels, which in turn supports stable energy levels, concentration, and cognitive performance. There are many foods and natural caffeine drinks that I recommend to increase energy and focus. I absolutely love matcha tea from Organic Burst. I do have to admit it took a  little while to get used to, but I have perfected the taste! I use matcha powder, cinnamon (an antioxidant, anti aging spice), and home made honey! I have no jitters, and no increase in anxiety, in fact, it decrease my nervous system. I am more focused, and have enough energy to play with my littles after work! 


It is important to note that while nutrition plays a significant role in mental health, it is not a standalone treatment for mental health disorders. It should be considered as part of a comprehensive approach, where all areas of life are discussed, because as you know by now, it is all interconnected!  I love talking about this stuff, so please don't hesitate to message me! I am certified in nutrition for mental health, as well as can speak from experience. There is always a place to start and it is never too late! I am happy to consult with you or link you with another healthcare professional that can provide personalized guidance on nutrition and its impact on mental well-being. Cheers to your health!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 7: AAAGGGHHH The Holidays are Approaching: How to Keep Your Cool!

Blog 9: How to be more Kind and Compassionate to Ourselves..

2024: A New Year = A New Me, but does it really????!!!