How to Support Digestion, Stress & Your Nervous System: Pause, Track & Listen to Your Body
One of the MOST important things we can do as humans is keep learning and growing by listening to our bodies and asking ourselves: What is the best way for ME to respond right now?
Our bodies are constantly giving us information. Sometimes we just have to slow down enough to notice & listen to it.
For example, let's say I eat a mouthwatering chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. It tastes SOOOOO AMAZING. But I also know my body. I know that combination leaves me feeling bloated and uncomfortable, and I may not sleep well afterward. And I love my sleep!
So I can pause and ask myself:
“Is this worth it for me right now?”
There isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer. The point is becoming aware of how your choices affect YOUR body and then making a choice that feels supportive & nurturing.
This same concept applies to stress. Imagine you're at work and you've just received feedback that the project you worked hard on didn't meet the requested criteria and needs to be redone. Now, your first reaction might be:
“WHAT?! But I did exactly what you asked!”
Before reacting, you can pause, breathe, step away for a moment, and ask yourself this:
“What is the best response for me right now?”
That pause can give you an opportunity to respond intentionally instead of reacting automatically. Refer to my blog on this topic here.
And this is where becoming more aware of your body, stress response, digestion, food choices & daily habits can become incredibly valuable. This is how to start putting yourself first, which then helps you be more present for others.
Stress, Your Nervous System & Digestion
When we're experiencing stress, our body activates systems designed to help us respond to a challenge. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis is one of the body's major stress-response systems and is involved in regulating cortisol.
Cortisol itself isn't “bad.” In fact, despite all the articles in your social media feed, cortisol plays important roles in energy, metabolism, blood pressure, inflammation and the sleep-wake cycle. Cortisol also naturally changes throughout the day, including around the time we wake up.
The goal isn't to “get rid of cortisol.” The goal is to support your body in responding to stress and returning to a more regulated state. Hence, my motto: Regulate & Rise!
And digestion is part of that whole-person picture. Stress, eating patterns, hydration, activity and the foods we eat can all influence how our digestive system feels and functions.
So what are some things that you can do to Regulate all these things:
Step 1: PAUSE
It sounds so simple.
But let's be honest — pausing can be challenging!
Pause is a choice, a practice, and is doable. When you wake up in the morning, do you immediately jump out of bed and go, go, go? Or could you take a moment to sit at the edge of your bed, take a few breaths, drink some water and ease into your morning?
You don't have to create a complicated morning routine. The less complicated, the better your day will go.
Sometimes one small pause can change the tone of your morning. And remember: your cortisol is supposed to rise in the morning. That's part of normal physiology and helps your body wake up and become alert.
Rather than trying to “stop” that natural cortisol response, think about creating a morning that feels less rushed and more intentional. Think of something that you can shift for tomorrow morning that feels better on your nervous system.
Step 2: Try Warm Water
Here's one of my favorite simple practices:
Warm water first thing in the morning — and after meals.
Why?
First, hydration matters. Water supports many functions throughout the body, including digestion and bowel movements. It also helps keep stool softer, which can be helpful for preventing constipation.
I personally like warm water because it feels soothing and gives me another opportunity to pause instead of immediately jumping into the next thing.
Some people also find warm water comfortable for their digestive system. However, I want to be clear: there isn't strong evidence that warm or hot water has unique digestive benefits compared with room-temperature or cold water. The bigger benefit may simply be getting enough fluids, getting the insides of your digestive system moving, and creating a consistent, calming habit.
You can try:
🌅 When you wake up:
Have a glass of comfortably warm water while you take a few moments to ease into your day.
🍽️ After meals:
Try sipping warm water as part of your post-meal routine. And don't force yourself to drink a huge amount at once, and small cup will do.
Water during or after meals does not interfere with digestion, and staying hydrated supports digestion and regular bowel movements.
Step 3: TRACK
This is where we get real personal. 😉
I often encourage clients to pay attention to what they're eating and how their body & energy responds.
For 3 weekdays, and at least 1 weekend day, track the following:
- What you eat and drink
- When you eat
- How your stomach/digestion feels
- Bloating or discomfort
- Bowel movements
- Energy
- Mood
- Stress level
- Sleep
- Anything else you notice
The goal isn't to obsess over food or judge what you eat....The goal is awareness.
When you look back at several days of information, you may begin noticing patterns or connections you hadn't noticed before.
For example:
“When I skip breakfast, I feel shaky and anxious.”
“When I eat really late, my sleep isn't as good.”
“When I don't drink enough water, my digestion slows down.”
“When I'm extremely stressed, my stomach feels worse.”
That information can help you make more informed choices about what works for your individual body, digestive system, and energy.
Your Body Is Giving You Information
I'll give you a personal example.
I've learned that if I have a social event and don't eat beforehand, my anxiety can increase. I can feel shaky and have a harder time finding the right words, and yes, I can stutter!
So I've learned:
Eating helps me feel more grounded and able to connect.
I didn't learn that from a textbook.
I learned it through awareness, pausing and tracking.
That's what I want you to take away from this.
YOU ARE LEARNING YOU!
Resources to Help You Track
Here is the tracker I share with clients:
Food, Digestion & Wellness Tracker:
You can also use the Bristol Stool Chart as a general reference when tracking bowel movements:
Remember: the purpose of tracking isn't to become hyper-focused on every bodily sensation. It's to notice patterns and develop greater self-awareness.
What Do You Do With What You Learn?
Once you've tracked your food, digestion, mood, stress and other patterns, you can review what you've noticed with an appropriate healthcare professional. Or if you notice a food that you eat consistently, and you notice that your energy dips after eating it, maybe try not eating that food to see if you notice a difference.
Depending on your symptoms and individual circumstances, a qualified healthcare professional may determine whether additional evaluation or testing is appropriate. I am also able to support you in reading your tracker, notice any patterns, and create a plan with you.
This might include discussing nutrition, lifestyle, medications, sleep, stress, or other factors that could be contributing to your symptoms.
Testing isn't something everyone needs, and it should be based on your individual health history and concerns.
Northern California Resources
If you're looking for additional integrative or whole-person healthcare resources in Northern California, here are some organizations I've previously shared with clients.
**My Favorite local resource: Dr. Deb & Rachelle: Herbalists in El Dorado County
Center for Living Health: as integrative and holistic approach, combining conventional and holistic approaches and offering integrative nutrition coaching.
Ollie Health: El Dorado Hills: focused on wellbeing, community, self-awareness and education.
Your Next Step: Practice the Pause
So, you've practiced the pause.
You've started tracking.
You've noticed some patterns.
Now what?
Keep learning about yourself.
Ask:
“What is the best response for me right now?”
Goal is to:
Pause. Notice. Learn. Respond.
These are lifelong practices that can help us become more connected to ourselves — and, in turn, more connected to the people around us.
This is about learning how to be your own best friend. ❤️
If anxiety, stress, overthinking or feeling constantly “on” is making it difficult to feel like yourself, therapy can be a place to slow down, understand what's happening, and develop practical tools that work for you.
I'm Michelle Pettengill, LCSW, an anxiety therapist in Folsom, CA providing telehealth throughout California. I help busy, overwhelmed adults regulate stress, quiet overthinking and feel more grounded through a whole-person approach.
Ready to talk? Schedule a free consultation here
Comments
Post a Comment